While not a product of CGS Unit, I wanted to share another “crafty” project. For this year’s Halloween costume (and for cosplay at every convention I ever attend in the future haha), I decided it was finally time to make Kaylee’s jumpsuit.
There are plenty of blog posts across the net with helpful step of the process, but I found that many were outdated and linked to dozens of products/websites/etc. that no longer exist. I found Maggie’s Costume Site most helpful, since it collects tons of great reference photos. I won’t reproduce that content here.
Instead, I’ll list all the places I bought parts from, which I’ll hopefully try to keep track of broken links as time passes.
Purchased from: http://www.myjumpsuit.com/asseonsanili.html
Alterations: cut off the sleeves, resewed the hem, removed a front pocket.
Purchased from: http://www.kohls.com, Sag Harbor Printed Knot-Front Top
(Any flowery, pink/purple shirt works, especially with 3/4 sleeves)
- Work Boots
Purchased from: http://www.kohls.com, 2 Lips Too Too Fixate Ankle Boots
(Any black work boots — or purple flip-flops for the classic pilot episode look)
Purchased from: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/12fe/
(I wasn’t planning to get one, but it was $10 at the time)
— bear: http://www.etsy.com/shop/DressyJessie
— heart: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Tattooit/
— flower: http://www.ebay.com/usr/bugmom65
Alterations: ironed on heart, sewed on flower and bear.
- Chinese Characters
No purchases for these, but used this reference for the three sets. See pictures below, along with the finished product!
Wow, what a ride! This year’s Boston Festival of Indie Games (the 3rd annual) was amazing and so much fun. Stars, Inc. was one of the 48 games in the Tabletop Showcase. We demoed the game for nine hours and got a lot of positive feedback! We’ll be updating the page for Stars, Inc. and we’ve also gotten it listed on Board Game Geek!
This summer at CGS, our big undertaking–well, other than our day-jobs–has been developing and playtesting our upcoming boardgame Stars Inc. Since May, we’ve completely revamped the gameplay, board, and rulebook–moving ever closer to a finished, publishable game!
The most important part of game development is playtesting, and we’ve done a lot of it this summer. We’ve busily recorded notes from dozens of playthroughs: from awesome meet-ups with other game designers through the Game Makers Guild, to play-throughs with friends and family, to demos with complete strangers at GenCon. Each time people play, we slightly tweak the rules–trying to find the right balance between every component that makes the game fun. This is a hard process! Sometimes it feels like trying to balance a pencil on its point–push a rule a little too far one way and the whole game falls apart. Say one particular strategy feels underpowered compared to another. So we make it a little stronger–maybe it scores another point every turn–but now suddenly it’s by far the best way to win the game. Then we buff the other strategies a little–except now the game is over way too quickly. Trying to fix that makes the game last for hours. This can be a difficult and exhausting process.
But it’s finally starting to pay off! The version we demo’d at GenCon seems to be very nicely balanced for the base game. The only big things left to tweak are the powers for each individual player’s species. And, in incredibly exciting news, WE’VE BEEN ACCEPTED TO DEMO AT THE BOSTON FESTIVAL OF INDIE GAMES!!! This means we get to show off Stars Inc. to thousands of people and get a huge amount of feedback. Thanks to all our friends, family, and backers who have helped get us this far! Expect more news soon.
So, all of us at CGS Unit want to apologize that we’ve been quiet for a little while. As grad students and support scientists, our summers are busier than the rest of the year because they are filled with conferences and summer schools. Since CGS stands for Crafts, Games and SCIENCE, I thought I’d fill you in on some of the SCIENCE I’ve been sharing and learning so far this summer. Doug will post soon on the progress we’ve been making on the game (YES, we’ve been making a lot of progress!!).
As a reminder, I study the Sun. I attended the 2014 SHINE conference (Solar and Heliospheric INterplanetary Environment) from June 22nd to June 27th. June 22nd was the SHINE Student Day, where graduate students get together in a less stressful environment and share some tutorials and research talks. My tutorial on Space Weather is fairly accessible to general audiences, and if you want to check it out, click/download here. I won the award for best tutorial, which was incredibly exciting! I also presented a poster on my research:
Starting July 9th and ending in a couple of days, I’ve been in Boulder, CO for the Heliophysics Summer School. Below, I’ll just share highlights from my live tweeting of the school!
And finally, a pair of tweets from this morning :)